Somewhere over the rainbow

Somewhere over the rainbow
The hubster and I saw a rainbow form in a meadow in Colorado in Aug. 2011.

Monday, February 6, 2012

She's got the moves like Jagger

We are spirit, soul and body--three-part beings. One of my dreams involves modeling myself after those who excel in each of these three areas of our being. What's interesting (and rather comical) is that my role models in each sphere are so different and so far removed from each other.


 In spirit, I have but one star at which I stare fixedly--Jesus Christ. He IS the Holy Spirit! (When Jesus spoke of sending the Holy Spirit in John 14:18, He used first person: "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.")

In soul, I have always longed to be like Miss Melanie Hamilton in "Gone With the Wind." What a beautifully unselfish and kind woman she was--an absolute paragon of virtue with a humility and grace that we all should aspire to. Problem is that I have always been natured more like Scarlett O'Hara as far as being impulsive and high-spirited. Miss Melly was ever-gentle and calm. (Let's hear a collective sigh that that will probably NEVER be me, but hey, a girl can dream, can't she?!)

When it comes to body, prepare to be amazed. I decided tonight as I watched the Super Bowl halftime show that I wouldn't mind looking like Madonna as far as fitness and agelessness. If we were talking about spirit and soul, she would be the lowest of low on my list of whom I would like to model myself after. But when it comes to the fleshly realm--doggone, that woman looks good.

It used to be that a woman in her mid-50s was seen stereotypically as dumpy, old, dressed in grandma's polyester pantsuit with gray hair. (Disclaimer: there's nothing wrong with polyester or gray hair.) But Madonna's chiseled limbs and cut abs would make most 20-year-olds jealous. As she sang with Nicki Minaj who is nearly 25 years younger than her, Madonna was by far the better looking one as far as fitness goes.
Madonna and child

So yes, although I don't care much for Madonna, I wouldn't mind being in that physical shape. Let's face the hard, cruel facts: if I tried to do some of her moves, I'd be bedridden or in traction.

And that Jillian Michaels? She's on my list, too. The woman is 37 and in the shape of a 16-year-old. I wanna go there. Yes, I do.

This is coming from a woman whose calves locked up by the time she walked from the Cove Mart to the old Dodson Hotel on Main Street, Walnut Cove, at the MLK March in January. I literally thought I couldn't make it to the destination not even a mile away. Pure old pride got me there--seeing people decades older than me marching blithely past me, watching women pushing baby strollers trucking it on up the hill as I willed my weak legs to take another step.

This has got to stop. If Madonna can do it, so can I. No, I can't afford a personal trainer, but surely I can walk around the block a few times a week or jump on the mini-tramp daily.

Maybe the buddy system is the answer. I need a buddy. Does anyone have Madonna's number? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment